Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Crochet Floor Cushion

Crochet Floor Cushion

Found this amazing free pattern for a floor pouf and decided I needed to have one just so I could put my feet up when my husband takes the recliner spot on our sectional couch. Link down below. Also managed to save a bunch of money finding my bulky yarn at Walmart on clearance (gotta love that!)

twindragonflydesigns.com free-crochet-floor-pouf-pattern



Things I did differently

So I stuck with the crochet pattern and didn't change a thing. The pattern calls for five skiens of yarn but I needed six. This was a huge problem because I got the last five skiens of this yarn in the whole Walmart. After calling all the other Walmarts in the area the office manager told me about the a craft store called Pat Catan's. Thank the good lord they had my yarn! As for the filling I went a completely different direction. I got a foam pad a cut six squares (12" by 12") to use as my foundation. I also bought a bag of quilters batting for a full size bed and cut it into one long strand. I used a picture found of Pintrest to figure out how to cut it. Link: handcraftbygrip.com crochet-rug-of-t-shirts (Its the second image down on this page)
I then wrapped my batting around my square foam pieces but I wasn't getting the circle shape I wanted so I pulled out my extra (fluffy) batting and placed folded pieces where I needed them and continued to wrap my batting around until I got the shape I wanted. Pulled my crochet bag over it and crochet it closed. This gave my floor cushion a ton of structure so it didn't just sink to nothing when sat on.



Lesson Learned

Always buy extra yarn. Its so much better to have extra then not enough. I totally thought my floor cushion project was a total waste of my time because I couldn't find another skein in any store.



Alright, this was a fun project that I really enjoyed. I don't do a ton of stuff with bulky yarn so it was a whole different learning experience for me. The filling was the most time consuming part by far but I really think it was worth it. I love that it holds is shape and that I didn't have to sew a lining into my crochet. So happy with my floor cushion. I love having a place to put my feet up.

Happiness is Homemade
Alyssa


No comments:

Post a Comment