Friday, June 9, 2017

Baby blanket with scraps!

Flower Garden Baby Blanket


Alright, its no lie, I have a ton of yarn. It fills every nook and cranny of my bedroom and overflows into my living room, taking up the side table and sometimes the couch. What a better way to use up the half balls of yarn I had all over then with a baby blanket!



















Ravelry is my favorite and sometimes I just browse the free crochet patterns and save billions of patterns into my library. I happened upon this awesome pattern while looking through blankets for a friend after she just announced they were expecting a girl. She had already commissions a blanket from me and picked a pattern but I also wanted to gift her a blanket.

I quickly fell in love with the look of this blanket and her favorite color was purple so I gathered all of my purple (ish) yarns and got it going.

www.ravelry.com/kennedys-flower-garden-blanket

Things I did differently

Using a large variety of yarns I did have to use two different size hooks (G & H) to get the flowers to come out to about the same size. The thicker yarns got the smaller hook and the thinner got the bigger hook. Not too difficult, it helps to write down which one you used with which color though.

The pattern is written in a join as you go, making all of the flowers and then filling in the holes with the circle joins. Ok guys, watch what you are doing! This blanket ended up in the "time out" closet because I joined ONE flower incorrectly and I couldn't figure out how to fix it for quite a while.

Also, one last thing, the pattern doesn't come with the pretty little half joining circles it has in the picture. I didn't think much on it and just did my blanket without.

Wet Blocking

This blanket is important to wet block! The flowers like to curl up a tad, if you don't. I have a great little system that involves me pinning my blanket on top of towels to my carpet and steaming with a steam mop (It has a clothes steamer attachment that I love so much).

Not going to lie, this is one of the hardest blankets I have had to wet block. I pinned down every flowers petal before steaming it which probably took me a good half hour to do. Lets face it though, it was totally worth it!! It turned out so stunning!

















This is a great project I really enjoyed working on and it uses up a bunch of scrapes. Think of all the color possibilities! A whole bunch of different colored flowers or just slight variations of the same color. I can't wait to make another, maybe in pinks, or perhaps reds! We shall see.

Thanks for taking a look and enjoy!


















Etsy

Lyssa Lou's Custom Craft
The Etsy store is filled with fun creative handmade things, premade and ready to purchase. Head on over there and check it out.

www.etsy.com/shop/LyssaLousCustomCraft

Can't find what your looking for in the shop? Maybe head on over to my facebook page and look over what I have created in the past and place a custom order with me either through Etsy or Facebook.

www.facebook.com/LyssaLousCustomCraf


No comments:

Post a Comment