Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Crochet Magnetic Fishing Game Set

Magnetic Fishing Game

We are going on a road trip, an eight hour road trip with our three and a half year old. I am honestly a little terrified, so way in advance I started looking for things I could sew or crochet to help keep her busy. I came across this pattern on Ravelry.



Things I did differently

This is a great pattern. I used an F hook and skipped the tail.

Tail
I used this small heart pattern, found on Pintrest. I made two of them and stitched them together, half way, almost to the bottom point of the hearts. Then I place the hearts onto my fish with a heart bottom on either side and stitched it onto my fish.



Fishing Pole
Came across this magic wand pattern on Ravelry and loved that it was made around a chop stick (I used a wooden dowel, it was longer). I figured it could easily be used as a fishing pole and much better then a stick and string.

Note: Working on the handle, I stopped at row 17 (right before my three rounds of sl st) and stuffed and inserted my stick. The next rows are a little bit smaller so I figured it would be easier to do this step now. Ok, all I did was take some poly-fill and wrap a small elastic around the bottom to hold the stuffing and wrapped it nice and tight and put another rubberband on that end. This easily slid into my wand end.

Dont forget to attach your fishing string into your end before closing



String and magnet
I picked up my magnets from Home Depot, they look just like washers (a little thicker) and come in a pack of three! yay! I SC around my magnet, just be sure that you don't put too many SC around it or your magnet wont pick up the fish. I did another round of SC then did a round of decreases and did a nice long chain all the way up.


I plan on making a few of these adorable sets and selling them on my etsy page. Hop over there and check it out.


Here is my daughter testing them out for the first time. She had a lot of fun with it. I hope she spends a lot of time playing with it in the car.


Thanks for looking everyone and enjoy!





2 comments:

  1. Can you link to the magnets you bought specifically? Having trouble finding ones that work through two layers of yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are the ones I use. I have doubled them up and they work very well.

    https://share.temu.com/vuGwCYyXUEA

    ReplyDelete